What is HAARP?

elderbear

Fortunately' date=' Sol's hydrogen fusion process is supposed to continue for another 5 billion (or million million for the English) years, give or take.[/quote']

Then Homer Simpson is no longer needed, and he can go back to bar & drink beer all day.

;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said magnetosphere' date=' not atmosphere. It's a huge difference![/quote']

Tell that to the skin cancer patients in Florida's Emergency Ward......

:stare:

I offer a counter theory........

The water droplets that are ever-present in our atmosphere defract light in certain directions, just as a prism does. As you are probably aware, focused light causes heat & damage.

I submit, therefore that our own atmosphere actually makes the radiation worse on the planet than it is in space, and our fear of turning into a pile of "goo" is a myth.

Being an electronics buff, I also know that anything electronic has 2 enemies:

.......Heat & magnets!

So, why haven't our probes & rovers been destroyed??

The sun is too small to nova. We have four to 7 billion years before our sun becomes a red giant. We'll either be extinct or spread to other stars by then.

Unless you want to divert every last dollar of economic output to producing your magical spacecraft (no more Star Trek), your grand vision isn't going to happen............

Fortunately' date=' Sol's hydrogen fusion process is supposed to continue for another 5 billion (or million million for the English) years, give or take.[/quote']

Then Homer Simpson is no longer needed, and he can go back to bar & drink beer all day.

;)

If we made efficient use of solar power ... instead of fossil fuels, perhaps. But if we did that, Montgomery Burns would shade all of Springfield (and probably Shelbyville, too) with solar panels, and he'd still need some poor slob to watch the power grid!

VonHelton, I think you're being deliberately obtuse here...

I'm sorry, but the science community has concluded beyond speculation that the atmosphere deflects and absorbs a great deal of radiation. This has been demonstrated empirically. Your theory is worthless wishful thinking.

"So, why haven't our probes & rovers been destroyed??"

They are made using specially hardened electronics so that they can withstand constant bombardment with solar radiation. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to do the same with humans.

They are made using specially hardened electronics so that they can withstand constant bombardment with solar radiation. Unfortunately' date=' it's rather difficult to do the same with humans. [/quote']

What about exoskeletons, EVO-suits, ... you name it!

You are both quite right actually.

The higher layers of the atmosphere 'catch' no particles, because it isn't magnetic. That's true. Neutrons impact the earth by billions... UV-radiation however is stopped by the ozone layer's chemical reactions... or at least it used to be, lol.

Other known hazardous radiation is reduced as well.

That's for the atmosphere.

However, the magnetosphere catches the ultrahigh energy, high velocity particles that would irradiate the entire planet.

As for this:

Your theory is worthless wishful thinking.

We could start a debate about the usefullness of wishful thinking... but we won't (or will we?).

Surely you're not claiming the Moon is somehow in our atmosphere, are you??

Ha. That's quite interesting, seeing both your views...

Moon is definitely in Earth's magnetosphere. Yes.

So if you could walk in the sun on the moon (no EVO-suit) you would come back skin-cancered. That's for having no atmosphere!

Methinks you are speaking about different things.

Look, afransen, VH is (however crudely theorized) right about his magnetosphere.

But so are you, about your atmosphere.

I suggest you both do some reading on this... and don't get too agitated by what someone says, eh!

Hmmm... I don't make much sense, do I?

With the greatest respect,

Elladan

An onion, or a carrot, spends the first year saving up energy resources in its root. That’s what we eat, but if left in the ground, it is used the second year by the plant. The reserves of the past are used to grow a tall stock and set seed’s on the wind to reach new locations. This only happens if we don’t eat the saved energy.

Gaia has saved millions of years worth of solar energy gathered by plankton as oil. She has saved up enough easy energy to set a tall stock indeed, and to seed the stars. But we are not following our mother’s plan. We don’t want to use our inheritance to seek our fortunes out in the universe. We want to stay at home and sit on the couch and eat chips. We will use a million years of savings on a few hundred years of Nintendo, and then lose the mortgage and sleep under a bridge for the rest of our evolution.

-=c0g=-

An onion, or a carrot, spends the first year saving up energy resources in its root. That’s what we eat, but if left in the ground, it is used the second year by the plant. The reserves of the past are used to grow a tall stock and set seed’s on the wind to reach new locations. This only happens if we don’t eat the saved energy.

Gaia has saved millions of years worth of solar energy gathered by plankton as oil. She has saved up enough easy energy to set a tall stock indeed, and to seed the stars. But we are not following our mother’s plan. We don’t want to use our inheritance to seek our fortunes out in the universe. We want to stay at home and sit on the couch and eat chips. We will use a million years of savings on a few hundred years of Nintendo, and then lose the mortgage and sleep under a bridge for the rest of our evolution.

-=c0g=-

Right.

Emotional, but right. ;)

VonHelton' date=' I think you're being deliberately obtuse here....[/quote']

Odd, I'm not the one who held back the space program!!

I'm not the one deliberately scaring the crap out of people!

I'm not the one saying it can't be done!!

:mad:

.....I'm not exactly a neophyte when it comes to science, astrology & astronomy.

I'm also not saying we can walk around in T-shirts & blue jeans, but by the same token, saying we'll end up a pile of protoplasm by the time we reach Saturn is a cop-out as well.

I'd like to think I'm intelegent enough to fly around a few rocks & work a camera!!!

:mad:

How long does it take to reach Pluto? 35 years?

......You build me a ship to my specs, and I'll send you a postcard!!

But we are not following our mother’s plan. We don’t want to use our inheritance to seek our fortunes out in the universe. We want to stay at home and sit on the couch and eat chips.

Exactly right! As far as I'm concerned, space is our manifest destiny!

B)

Look, afransen, VH is (however crudely theorized) right about his magnetosphere.

In the now immortal words of Master Yoda:

"......Try? There is no "try". There is only "do", or "do not".

:thinking:

"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness."

But then again, showing weakness at times may convince even your worst enemy that you're serious. When he's lulled into a sense of safety, strike him down if you must.

.......And once we find out the sun is going supernova, it's too late.

The sun IS going supernova..... we just don´t know exactly when. :stare:

We don't need to.

We'll die anyway, if not by Sol going supernova, it'll be by Gamma Flash. Ever heard of those? Wipe out entire galactic arms in seconds... (well.. not seconds, but you die.)