A tree falls in a forest

lamp

trees got into a fight... and one of them cut the base of the other.

see lord of the rings and you would see how trees are not as still as you might believe.

Flawed. They're ents... can awaken trees.

Eat the Urukhai... very good.

But not trek.. so quit it.

Elladan

look at my name and say if I'm a lotr-fan or not!

to Elladan and Von. One of my Counterstrike Experiences was yelling Los! Los! Los! into the mic and getting a response from some of my teammates wat i was saying...lol....then i remember there was a command for Go! Go! Go which is C. then number 1

I think you meant to say "schnell".

:)

Doesn't count... Jimi was tripping on LSD.

......Or "LDS" as Kirk calls it.

It's LSD, right?? :thinking:

Kirk is just trying to be "the-guy-who-never-touched-any-drugs". Whatever... guess he'll have had that in history lessons.

Don't you think they'd erase THAT part of history by the 23d century??

Elladan

"......Well I'm standin' next to a mountain' date=' an' I chop it down with the edge of my hand."[/b']

-Jimi Hendrix

;)

That's just a portal to non-consensual reality ... still counts, at least for Jimi! Sorta like all the shamanic journeys through the ages ... subjectively real, just not frequently shared by anybody else.

An interesting and legal experience in small-group non-consensual reality can be had by lying in a star configuration, heads together. Everybody starts out in a garden, in their imaginations. Breathing slowly and deeply (eyes closed), people speak their perceptions. You all head for the rainbow bridge and each describes the experience of climbing up the colors and crossing over. Then each describes their experience on the "other side." People riff off each others' experiences. It's an exercise in group-self-hypnosis and Very interesting. Consensus generally emerges, experiences merge, even when one or two people try to go off in a different direction than the group. They either get sucked back into the group imagination, or the group follows them into a new experience.

A tree falls in a forest but no one is around to hear in, does it make a sound?

I think this is flawed. if no one is around does the tree actually fall?

Nobody was around to see the dinosaurs become extinct, but they no longer walk the earth. Nobody was around to see the trees fall during the Tunguska Event, yet they were still felled. So yeah, the tree falls, even without direct witnesses.

And what is sound? Vibration. A tree falling w/o creating vibration would directly contradict our current understandings of the physical universe. Is their sound w/o a listener? IMHO, yes.

Then again, from a solipsistic view, nothing happens w/o the dreamer experiencing it at some level. Of course, the Zen notion of intersubjective interconnectivity would say that the non-observer is connected to the tree, and to the sound, even though he or she has no direct audible experience thereof.

This line of reasoning gets more interesting at the quantum level. I had a friend once ask a high-priestess channeling some Goddess or another if She could make a rock too heavy for her to lift. Her answer: "The Goddess would become the rock." An interesting third way out of the dilemma.

......Or "LDS" as Kirk calls it.

It's LSD, right?? :thinking:

Kirk is just trying to be "the-guy-who-never-touched-any-drugs". Whatever... guess he'll have had that in history lessons.

Don't you think they'd erase THAT part of history by the 23d century??

Elladan

Really ?

I found it hard to believe after listening to his "Lucy in the sky with diamonds"'s version...