Astronomers say they have fuond new planet

gjnave

strange, I would have thought that we would have discovered all planets by now considering the attention we pay to space and even travelling to other planets.

It just goes to show you that mankind does not know as much as we would like to think we do.

Well, this isn't the first time we have discovered a "10th planet." Just for a reference, look at this article(It has an editors note added later that it is not considered the 10th planet, but for a time, there was some controversy about it, especially before we had all of the facts. The editors note is interesting, however, because it does bring up the issue of how large a planet must really be). It talks about what was thought to be the tenth planet, and people were saying similar things about it as they are about 2003 UB313 (the object in question).

The main difference there is that the first object was about half the size of Pluto, and at the time, that seemed possibly to be good enough, but now of course, there is a lot of dispute over whether Pluto is a planet(see this)or simply a large TNO/KBO. There have been quite a few of these found to date, and the matter is further confused because of the way in which Pluto rotates, and that if it were a planet, it would be the ONLY known Terrestrial (well, similar anyway, really a third class, of which it would be the only one) planet (as opposed to Jovial) outside of the asteroid belt. Also, its orbit is 17 degrees off of the other planet's rotations (again, assuming it is a planet), and its origin is likely a moon thrown out of a planets rotation, or it may have the same origin as the Kuiper belt comets.

Now, people are not sure how large 2003 UB313 is, but it is likely the size of Pluto, or as much as 1.5x the size. Either way, if Pluto is in doubt as a planet, this one is likely in jeopardy as well. This "Planet" is out of the disk of rotation by 45 degrees (makes Pluto's 17 not look like much), and it is farther out than Pluto. There is also a LOT we do not know about it. I think that there is a good chance one of two things will come from this, and I wanted your guys’ opinion. I think that it could be found out that there are a lot more similarities between 2003 UB313 and Pluto, and they could be used to show that Pluto represents a class of Planets and not simply an anomaly, or that they will decide there are too many anomalies (between 2003 UB313 and our definition of a standard planet), and that this is NOT a planet, and that might be used to remove Pluto's distinction as a planet completely, at least for most scientists (this has been controversial for quite some time, and there have been times where we were SURE it was a planet, and then it would switch back, and we would be thinking it wasn’t one).

So, do you guys think that a) 2003 UB313 actually is a planet? (it may be too early to tell, since, like I said, a lot is still unknown about this object).

If you answer no to a), then do you think b) Pluto is really a planet? Oh, and if you don’t mind answering c), then c), what is your education level, and what background do you have (if any) in Astronomy?

I probably should have separated this into a separate topic, but oh well.

strange, I would have thought that we would have discovered all planets by now considering the attention we pay to space and even travelling to other planets.

I was wondering the same thing myself!

The main reason for that is the orbit around the sun for this "planet" is 45 degrees off of that for all known planets(except Pluto). Look at the end of this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/07/30/new.planet/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

A 10th planet? From what I've been told years ago, our solar system actually used to have 13 planets revolving around our sun.

This may be a bit off topic, but what the hell...

Zecharia Sitchin is a fascinating fellow and talks about things such as this. He wrote a book called "The 12th Planet," which is also in Audiobook form (Zecharia Sitchin - The 12th Planet - 1 thru 4 - by General Lee_ALBW.mp3).

He talks about ancient things, and basically how life began on the earth, eons ago... and ties in the Sumerians and the Dogons. He talks alot about the "Annunaki" who came here to earth ages ago, and created homo sapiens to be slaves, to help them mine gold.

Zecharia Sitchin on Amazon

The Twelth Planet

i think i have no idea what will happen with the whole planet issue, i think for a bit with all the hype it will be declared a planet, and for awhile it will be the 10th planet, but as interest into pluto and the 10th planet grows among astronomers because of the new discovery a better understanding of "xena" and pluto will come into light, and we will be able to say for sure whether either are planets, i think it is also possible that "Xena" could be declared the 9th planet and pluto declared not a planet.

oh and great post weyoun, better then news articles i've read about the 10th planet :P, oh and 3rd year mathematical physics student, and beginning amateur astronomer.

http://www.physorg.com/news5523.html

^

||

||

good article on the discovery of the planet

And thanks to an obviously well informed Commander Weyoun for the links [this is one of those times I'm not being a smart ass]. This has been going on for a while, this newest body I heard was very dense and rocky, but I won't buy into anything until someone touches it.

It isn't like we are going to move off-world anytime soon.