If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to here it....

Pella

The oldest one in the book, but since someone asked about a flat or round earth, we might as well question the full nature of reality or what we percieve as reality

So if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tree falling does not make a sound.

What we define as sound is simply a response to vibrations in the air that stimulate the human ear. Being as that range is between 20 and 20,000 Htz. we , for sake of convienance, call anything within that range "sound"

So what the tree falling actually does is cause vibrations in the surrounding atmosphere.

O.K. It also scares the crap out of any bunny rabbits that happen to be in the vicinity.

Personally I think that quetion is wrong, a very difficult feat to achieve as it appear much easier to answer questions wrongly instead, but let me to try to make my point clear.

My point is : if the the fact that nobody is near the tree to hear it fall make the sound produced by its fall to disappear, then there is really no tree, since there is nobody near it to even see it make it to disappear.

I remember first thinking of this while reading a paper by Einstein and a response by Bohr in wich they argued about weather or not Quantum Mechanics could be a complete description of physical reality or there have to be some "hidden variables" not included in QM (the main issue of the discusion is there exists such things as, for example, position or momentum if the fact of measuring one precludes the knowledge of the other).

While reading those papers I found hilarious that what they were dicussing was essentially the question "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", but what they were really doing was correcting the question based on Quantum Theory to "Does it really exists a tree in a forest if you can't know whether has fallen or not" (or if you preffer, Can you tell if a tree in a forest has fallen or not, with the slight addition that saying no means that there is NO tree).

So i guess the point finally is that existance is defined by the possibility of interaction, and in the question "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" the role of the sound is a interaction wich enables you to realize the tree has fallen, so if you can know if the tree has fallen or not (say by treking by a forest and seeing a fallen tree) then you know the tree made a noise when it fell since it hit the ground (of course, provided there is air to transmit the sound).

*science mode: on

Since all movements through fluids cause disturbances in those fluids, and since air is a fluid and those disturbances are interpreted by our ears as sound, a falling tree must therefore create sound unless it's falling in a vacuum.

*science mode: off

Edit: Apologies for the switch to science mode, but this -is- the Modern Science area...

Guest c4evap

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop? And, if no one is around to lick it...does that negate the whole lick thesis (IE: I lick, therefore I am)?

c4 :p

maybe you all dont exist and the internet/TV is a big lie to make me accept that there is something like earth population out there...I am probably the only being in this world caged in a laboratory exposed to certain experiments of certain other beings which are not of my species....

Isnt this the same a schrodinger's cat? Sound is a wave as has already been said, which needs a devive, such as an ear, to be heard. So, therefore, to test the theory, you need someones ear to hear if the tree makes a noise or not, thereby negating the test. As soon as you try to measure the test, you falsify the answer.

Isnt this the same a schrodinger's cat? Sound is a wave as has already been said' date=' which needs a devive, such as an ear, to be heard. So, therefore, to test the theory, you need someones ear to hear if the tree makes a noise or not, thereby negating the test. As soon as you try to measure the test, you falsify the answer. [/quote']

Schrodinger tried to poison his Kitty - that wasn't very nice!!!

Isnt this the same a schrodinger's cat? Sound is a wave as has already been said' date=' which needs a devive, such as an ear, to be heard. So, therefore, to test the theory, you need someones ear to hear if the tree makes a noise or not, thereby negating the test. As soon as you try to measure the test, you falsify the answer. [/quote']

I hear the screams of the trees in the fiorest all to well.