Career Choices: What we Need for Space Exploration

elderbear

I was disturbed to see a photo from a recent space science conference. Most of the people in it were 50+. If you're still in that phase of life where you're deciding on a major and a career, consider majoring in physics and doing graduate work in one of the space sciences. The field is dying out.

Alternatively, major in aerospace (or some other useful sub-specialty) engineering (do an internship to build your resume)) and then do a Masters in Public Administration. Target NASA for employment. NASA has become so wrong-headed that we need inspired people to administer the programs and keep pressure on to get manned space flight going beyond low earth orbit!

Or, for you poli-sci types, get involved in political campaigns. Figure out how they work. Learn to write and articulate well. Write position papers on space and related ventures. Write speeches. Get yourself known in the local party infrastructure. Then run for office yourself.

I don't have any illusions about space travel becoming common while I'm still young enough to leave earth's gravity well. But I hope that my children or grandchildren will be able to do so without forking over $$$ or training to be an astronaut.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively, major in aerospace (or some other useful sub-specialty) engineering (do an internship to build your resume)) and then do a Masters in Public Administration. Target NASA for employment. NASA has become so wrong-headed that we need inspired people to administer the programs and keep pressure on to get manned space flight going beyond low earth orbit!

You are right in one sense that NASA seems to be headed in the wrong direction. I dont think its because they dont have good people running it but because our government here uses NASA more for defense purposes than they should. They dont get enough funding (in my opinion) and the funding they get is mostly used in defense related projects. Yes once in 10 years or so they send a probe to mars or something like that. BUt as far as I am concerned all of NASA's projects should involve the development of space ships and space stations so that they can travel to other planets in our solar system.

Also Instead of spending 1 billion dollars on one single probe, they can pool all their billions and build a space ship that can go back and forth faster and more efficiently.

NASA is full of idiots. They can't even build a damn launch platform that works without killing you, let alone build a freaking space shuttle.

The govt. should pay daydreamers and experimenters. They have better ideas on building things than any damn scientist.

There needs to be a masive infusion of cash, a billion to start & 20 more the next day & 50 the next. We have to be able pay for the best researchers, brightest minds. also we should incorporate more countries into the endevor. Leave the whole job to the US and it will not get done. When was the last shuttle launched? Years ago. Nothing has changed. They spend billions looking for weapons that don't exsist, in a war they can't win. Smell like Nam. IMO stop waisting our time US, get you're sht together.

Hey the will and steel exists, it those guys that are couped up in university laboratories doing research because there is no funding for starship development. anyways the current approach for spaceships is all wrrong, if you wanna go to another planet, you don't launch the whole ship into orbit then another planet, you launch peices and then assemble it in space. It goes much faster, and theoretically you should be able to ge a lot of resources from the moon, which it is easier to launch off.

Anyways the current approach for spaceships is all wrong' date=' if you wanna go to another planet, you don't launch the whole ship into orbit then another planet, you launch peices and then assemble it in space.[/quote']

Which is what I told them.........

.....In the 1970's.

:stare:

Anyways the current approach for spaceships is all wrong' date=' if you wanna go to another planet, you don't launch the whole ship into orbit then another planet, you launch peices and then assemble it in space.[/quote']

Which is what I told them.........

.....In the 1970's.

And I think they listened.... that is ...the international spacestation is build in space (It´s a start) :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that they don't ship component parts to Mars' orbit for a station there. I think it would be good project to have a manned station, similar to the 1 we have now. Rockets could easily launch from space to orbit Mars. It would not matter the length of time it took to get there. And would be assembled when manned craft arrived.

I'm in the Bio-Chemical field (as a college student) I would like to do one of 3 things with that:

1) veterinarian

2) research

(both of these have always had plans to do space research...aka work for NASA)

3) or be a teacher to inspire others to go where I failed to venture.

my plans have always been to get involved with space travel since I saw my first space launch on TV....challenger going boom, thats when I decided how I want to die. have no fear, us youngins aren't totally out of the picture yet.

Edit: now that I think about it, i got to be sick in the head, cause almost 19 years later, i still desire the honor of dying in some space exploration incident.

Edit: now that I think about it, i got to be sick in the head, cause almost 19 years later, i still desire the honor of dying in some space exploration incident.

No you're not........If I gotta go, I want to go on my feet, not my knees!!