i have a computer problem...

GhostShadow

I noticed a few days ago that some thing was wrong w/ my computers media player. I tried to play a video clip and the audio part played but the visual part stayed black and when i tried to close it, my computer froze up on me. i had to trun off manualy. I tried to scan for spyware, viriuses and i did a system check after i reboted. I tried to repair it using my operationg systme disc but when i hit "r" for repair it didnt start to repair.

I know there is a lot of computer guru's in here and i was wondering if any one could help. I tried to go to microsoft.com but there chats are really confusing and i don't know which one to go to...

So if any one could give me a link to a good chat site fo r this that would be great. I already tried yahoo chat room and they just sent me some...colorful files about....colorful things....

thank you :D

My advice would be to try migrating to a different media player, such as VLC or BSPlayer. Windows Media Player has a long history of being buggy, spying on its users and being wasteful with system resourses.

baring that, Try uninstalling WMP, and installing the newest version of it from the MS site (Not through Windows update).

I tried to play a video clip and the audio part played but the visual part stayed black and when i tried to close it' date=' my computer froze up on me. i had to trun off manualy. I tried to scan for spyware, viriuses and i did a system check after i reboted. I tried to repair it using my operationg systme disc but when i hit "r" for repair it didnt start to repair. [/quote']

You did all that, just because a program crashed? The likely cause was a missing codec. Windows Media Player got confused & hung the system. (shrug) With Microsoft's buggy OS and programs, freeze-up is to be expected. My computer does it least once a week. No big deal.

Get KC Software's VideoInspecter. That will look at the video clip, and determine which codec is missing. That should fix your problem: http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?vtb

troy

a missing codec...it does it on every video clip i play and on every media player I have, Real Player, VCL, Windows... But i will try your idea now.

About 5 mins ago my computer screen turned balck...My computer was on, my monater had power and was reciving a siginal. I reboted and an error reoprt came up and told me that it was an issue w/ my "RADION DISPLAY DRIVER" i looked on my device manager for that but i didnt see it. I tried to go to the ATI web site and update my driver their but i got confused and lost and it was playing 20 questions w/ me...over and over and over, every page i wne to....

So mabe this is an error w/ my vidoe card after all. I am gonna roll back my drive on that and use my original standered driver.

Some ATI Radeon types have hardware accelerated video (mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg4) playback. If you've got a problem with the vid-card, it might be that the video-playback of the files in question and the problem with the vid-cars are related.

Have you updated to the latest driver-set?

Also try disabling the hardware-video-playback-support for you radeon card...