Back to the Moon (Part 2)

Duggie

A fusion reactor is currently being built/tested somewhere in France now. It took a consortium of many big countries a long time and they finally chose this town in France over Japan. I'm not gonna bother looking for a link coz I think most of you know of it already or can just Google it.

One more to add to the list of benefits: If a meteor hits us tomorrow or weather change sends us into the Ice Age or Kevin Costner's Waterworld, then we're all doomed. UNLESS we have spread our wings out of Earth!

• 2 months later...
yeah i also have to agree its a sheer waste of money' date=' when you consider it could be used for better things back on earth, how can you justify wasting 100's billions of dollars on a project that might not really benifit most peoples lifes.[/quote']

apart from the advances in medicine that stem directly from the space race

and the spin off gadgetry that stems from the space race i guess it is a waste of money ????

seems people have made more money from the space race in a year than the whole complete race has cost from the beginning

yup what a waste

yeah i also have to agree its a sheer waste of money' date=' when you consider it could be used for better things back on earth, how can you justify wasting 100's billions of dollars on a project that might not really benifit most peoples lifes.[/quote']

*sighs and shakes his head...* If only a bit of the money currently spent on the military was spent on space exploration... it'd go a long way. Who knows what benefits will turn up from studying conditions out there? If anything, work towards a zero-G factory would probably pay for itself in creating -perfectly- round ball bearings (and thus reduce or even eliminate the need for lubrication in applications requiring them), among other things... of course, if we don't even bother to go to the moon again, we'll never go somewhere that has the natural resources to create such factories. (Maybe even vast floating hydroponic gardens to feed the ever growing populace?)

... also the more we do it, the more we learn, and the cheaper the whole process gets until it becomes affordable to go into space.

I think we should just shoot robots at the moon, use them by remote to explore, collect samples, and construct a launch facility, and use that to shoot rocks back at the earth. It's an idea the Soviets more or less came up with during the space race. It's a whole heckuvalot cheaper than sending people.

Oh and there's no oil on the moon. Unless there was once a large population of moon dinosaurs. Now that would really be something special. Wait... I forgot about all those moon whales. We could get oil from them instead.

We're whalers on the moon,

We carry a harpoon.

But there ain't no whales

So we tell tall tales

And sing our whaling tune.

Oh...