Are We Alone?

thanatos355

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it came too me' date=' would you make contact with earth people after watching CNN world news?[/quote']

CNN = The Communist News Network.

(Ted Turner is a Marxist, or he used to be.....And we all know Jane Fonda (his wife) was!)

:stare: :stare: :stare:

According to the stats, it seems that the possibility of other-than-us life is quite strong in all 3 kinds of theorized universes. Here is one quack's crack, I'm sure most of you are familliar with Drake...:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

But to play the other side, the stats also allow for us to be an interesting anomaly as well!

I'm optimistic...I'd hate to think we are a poo in the life of the universe; doomed to travel alone.

However, I my tendencies toward empiricism always get the best of me.

I have to say no. There is no life but us!

..."The Vulcan Science Acadamy has determined that time travel is impossible."

Retort?

BTW.. I accidentally voted no.... I meant to vote YES!

I have to say no. There is no life but us!!

Well, I used Drake's own numbers & came up with 1,000 species!

But Drake's numbers are low since he only used the Milkyway Galaxy.

.....There are alot of galaxies in the Universe.

:stare:

I have to say no. There is no life but us!!

Well, I used Drake's own numbers & came up with 1,000 species!

But Drake's numbers are low since he only used the Milkyway Galaxy.

.....There are alot of galaxies in the Universe.

:stare:

I have to agree, but then I have to ask: Where is the evidence/proof that this equation has any real application.

I can make an equation that would determine how many of you all are wearing tighty-whities, but where would the basis for my formula come from?

Making a statistical proposition based on one happening? The logic is flawed!

BTW anybody notice that nobody voted yes ???

I did... ;)

Seriously we shared this planet with at least one other humanoïde race for thousands of years and someone like Carl Sagan thinks there are one billion more earth like planets in the galaxy. Wouldn't it be very arrogant to think that no other sentient life form exist?

With the utter absence of any empirical proof to the contrary I had to vote yes. This brings to mind a conversation I had w/ a physicist who visited the campus where I work. I brought the entire idea of space travel up to him and his opinion was it would never, ever, be possible due to whole mass approaching the speed of light = infinite mass (or weight) thing fom Einstein's equations. Thus from his point of view we are alone, for all practical purposes, since interstellar travel is effectively impossible. This means we will never have the wherewithal to make contact w/ any other species. Depressing but probably accurate. Of course I predict one day we'll build a ship which approaches the speed of of light and reenact the big bang.

With the utter absence of any empirical proof to the contrary I had to vote yes. This brings to mind a conversation I had w/ a physicist who visited the campus where I work. I brought the entire idea of space travel up to him and his opinion was it would never' date=' ever, be possible due to whole mass approaching the speed of light = infinite mass (or weight) thing fom Einstein's equations. Thus from his point of view we are alone, for all practical purposes, since interstellar travel is effectively impossible. This means we will never have the wherewithal to make contact w/ any other species. Depressing but probably accurate. Of course I predict one day we'll build a ship which approaches the speed of of light and reenact the big bang.[/quote']

i was thinking of just this point when i put this poll up here.

the poll seems silly to have on a sifi site' date=' obviously everyone here loves sifi, so what person who loves sifi would possibly say we are alone[/quote']

i like magic and fatasy, this does not mean i think fairies and unicorns are real. :rolleyes:

I'm not even sure that the evidence is in as to whether or not we're alone on Earth! I find the idea that only on Earth does a self-aware, articulating, tool-using, adaptive species exist to be highly unlikely.

I do wonder, however, if we'll ever be able to communicate with anybody else out there. The distances are so vast, the density of intelligent races may be small, the average time of technological existence may be short.

Modern humans have existed for a very short percentage of the Earth's existence (1:100,000 more or less). Our modern technological existence, even less (1:100,000,000).

I think that we are effectively alone on Earth, until such time as we can develop ways of spanning interstellar distances efficiently AND learning to co-exist with each other, on this planet, in a sustainable lifestyle, that still incorporates scientific and technological development.

If we ever reach that stage, then we know that it is not impossible for other races on other planets to do so. Or, when other races start arriving here to visit ... then we'll know it's possible.

Until then, however, I think we are effectively alone, until the Gods come down to visit or we learn to converse with cetaceans.

With the utter absence of any empirical proof to the contrary I had to vote yes. This brings to mind a conversation I had w/ a physicist who visited the campus where I work. I brought the entire idea of space travel up to him and his opinion was it would never' date=' ever, be possible due to whole mass approaching the speed of light = infinite mass (or weight) thing fom Einstein's equations. Thus from his point of view we are alone, for all practical purposes, since interstellar travel is effectively impossible. This means we will never have the wherewithal to make contact w/ any other species. Depressing but probably accurate. Of course I predict one day we'll build a ship which approaches the speed of of light and reenact the big bang.[/quote']

Of course, it's quite unscientific to say that relativity makes it impossible. It would be better to say that until we transcend relativity (as Einstein transcended Newton, for instance), we are practically alone.