Survive under water or in space

Arktis

http://www.foresight.org/Nanomedicine/Gallery/Species/Respirocytes.html

The respirocyte is a bloodborne 1-micron-diameter spherical nanomedical device designed by Robert A. Freitas Jr.. The device acts as an artificial mechanical red blood cell It is designed as a diamondoid 1000-atmosphere pressure vessel with active pumping powered by endogenous serum glucose, and can deliver 236 times more oxygen to the tissues per unit volume than natural red cells while simultaneously managing carbonic acidity.

Wow. So far, what I've learned about these things is that they can enable you to survive a very, very long time without having to take a breath.

immune systems are easier to trick than you think. If the respirocyte had a molecular coating (which is already possible to do) that mimicked the DNA of the recipient, then the immune system would be tricked.

What kicks off an immune system is a molecule that has a molecular coating that differs from the host. That's why viruses infect blood cells and use the blood cell itself to replicate. Viruses trick the body into ignoring the infected blood cell.

Basically you need to make the nanocyte mimick virus behaviour.

That sounds so dodgy... :)

Oh my....very impressive!

Well, of course, I do have some annoying questions I'd ask my doctor before submitting..he he:

Do the rotors get stuck if other molecules try to enter? And should I use WD-40 and a syringe, then?

If you are fasting for an extended period of time will they run out of fuel and cease to function (low blood glucose levels)?

In a case of starvation will they compete with the brain for glucose?

What material will they be made of (do I choke if I play with magnets?)? :p

Does the nanocomputer have a firewall?:o

Can the body get rid of broken respirocytes? Will it say *clonk* when I pee?

In a case of starvation will they compete with the brain for glucose?

That's a good question, I mean you would be stuck with lot's of o2 but no glucose, that would kinda kill ya...

So if you would have some defective units who go all crazy producing o2. you would be eating sweet stuff all day to keep those things working and supply enough glucose to support the rest of your body...

Hmm, i'm not yet gonna sign up for those thingies.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking along the same lines. This kind of technology may be usable for people who have problems with low red blood cell counts... however, this still leaves the problem of clotting. We need red blood cells to clot when we get injured, right?