Global Climate Change

elderbear

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much of a part do you think equatorial plant density will affect drastic shifts? Will rapid plant die-off accelerate climate change' date=' or will large plant populations act as a mitigating cushion to delay drastic change?[/quote']

I don't think that question can be answered. Climate and weather patterns are too non-linear and chaotic to be very certain. Rising CO2 levels should help reduce the risk of forrest & brush fires somewhat. It will also improve plant growth rates where sufficient sunlight, nutrients, and the proper climate are available. Both of those will reduce CO2 accumulation in the atmosphere. Good things.

But climate changes and circulation changes will lead to precipitation changes. Undoubtedly, some areas that support lots of vegetation will dry out, providing less of a CO2 sink. Conversely, other areas may blossom and sink more CO2.

The February (?) Scientific American had a short piece on how rainforrest destruction is essentially a one-way street. Slash-and-burn farming leads to savannah formation and localized climate change. This will reduce the CO2 sinking capacity of tropical rain forrests permanetnly.

There is also some indication that for a number of plant species, climate change may proceed faster than they can extend their ranges towards polewards, causing die-off on the tropical sides without corresponding regrowth on the poleward margins.

equatorial plant density will play a role in glabal warming.

ok, first things first. im not sure where the plants are which you are talkin about. i will comment on coastal in a bit.

elder bear said that increased co2 should protect plants from fire. that is true i think though am sketchy i have to confess.

a warmer climate will dry some areas out (creating potential for fire), while also creating precipitation in other areas due to increased evaporation, stronger winds and potential for clouds to be blown further). global warming will change weather patterns. some equatorial areas may be affected.

the plants you mentioned. why are they dying?

global warming causes glaciers to melt causing a feedback where things get warmer (lower albedo etc). this melting and warming affects the seas in two ways. increase (slight) from melt water and thermal expansion of water.

as sea water invades the land it creates intolerable environments for the plants living there causing them to die. they die and their decomposition creates CH4, methane.

plants at mid latitudes are also responsible for helping warm the planet after cold periods too. as the sea regresses the same effect occurs by making the habitat uninhabitable for the plants which decompose and die.

more detailed info can be found on projections of how much they have affected past climate by looking at methane as an individual mechanism of climate change.

hope we get that upload spot sorted with nite soon cos i could have shared a few papers from science direct. its subscription only sadly but my uni have one.

laters

I dont know about all of you, but im rooting for an Ice Age. Lets hear it for the 12 month ski season, no longer will I be unemployed from may to november!!

LETS GO ICE AGE!!!!

If there's such a thing as "ICE AGE" its already here, right smack dab in the northern country of your's truely, Canada.

It's freezing here lol.

Stable Isotopes in Foraminiferal Carbonate

isotopes are currently used by scientists to ascertain past climates.

this paper comments on the global carbon cycle and oxygen inclusion in foramiferal shells (test).

a lot of this is the backbone of palaeoceanography.

some bits can be skipped and some bits are irrelvant to non scientists. i dont even need all of it.

isotopes have been used to reconstruct sea surface temp and calculate monsoon intensity which is what im doing with some sediment cores from the oman margin at the moment.

i hope the paper is enjoyabl as it is tough going in places.

will post more soon

As sea water invades the land it creates intolerable environments for the plants living there causing them to die. they die and their decomposition creates CH4' date=' methane.[/quote']

So even if the plants we send to Mars die, they will still create Methane, which in turn will warm up the atmosphere!!

All we gotta do is load up a bunch of foliage on a rocket & fling it at Mars.

:cyclops:

If we send any plant life. It will have to be close to moss in structure. Carbon absorbing, oxygen producing. Moss can withstand cold temperatures & little sun, And still grow. The object would be to deposit spores in a fly-by very low orbit in areas that would have sufficient supply of moisture.

If we send any plant life. It will have to be close to moss in structure. Carbon absorbing, oxygen producing. Moss can withstand cold temperatures & little sun, And still grow. The object would be to deposit spores in a fly-by very low orbit in areas that would have sufficient supply of moisture.

congrats on the promotion man :D

Rank means nothing to me. Unless I'm with a woman. Then I don't want to be rank one bit.

You mean , you want to be one up than your woman right?

man, if you havent done it with a lady boss yet ur missin out.

...and hey psheldrake, dont you feel at least the slightest satisfaction at posting faithfully and havin a little acknowledgment?

Rank means nothing to me. Unless I'm with a woman. Then I don't want to be rank one bit.

quote]

I have minimal and if not that, next to nothing experience in romantic endeveours with women or ladies or otherwise 'girls'. ^_^ doh ! .

quote]

I have minimal and if not that, next to nothing experience in romantic endeveours with women or ladies or otherwise 'girls'. ^_^ doh ! .

that may work in your favour B)

some ladies like "educating " the innocent ones.

more fun than your right hand dude

...and hey psheldrake, dont you feel at least the slightest satisfaction at posting faithfully and havin a little acknowledgment?

Mav. I'm going to post if I get something or not. It's not what I look forward to.

Mav. I'm going to post if I get something or not. It's not what I look forward to.

so... no satisfaction then

not even a bit?

If we send any plant life. It will have to be close to moss in structure. Carbon absorbing' date=' oxygen producing. Moss can withstand cold temperatures & little sun, And still grow. The object would be to deposit spores in a fly-by very low orbit in areas that would have sufficient supply of moisture.[/quote']

Forget moss, you want LICHEN!!!

It’s a compound organism made up of a fungus that has an algae living inside of it.

The good ones even have a bacterium that lives in them as well. The fungus provides the structure and housing along with protection from the elements. The algae photosynthesizes CO2 into carbohydrates and gives off oxygen, while the bacteria fix nitrogen, something no plant can do for its self.

With this combination, they don’t need much from the outside world; light, water, CO2, and ambient nitrogen are enough. To top it all off, they can survive harsher conditions than any other plant, even going so far as to totally shut down metabolically for an indefinite period until things improve.

Lichen naturally produces little compound reproductive packets called soredia. These could be seeded from low orbit over the arctic ice caps. Lichen lives in our arctic quite contentedly. The dark photosynthesizing plant mass would begin to melt the caps, the first step to Terraforming Mars.

It’s not that I’m trying to get rid of VonHelton or anything; I’m just um…well,.. Doing my part to speed up our colonization efforts. You know, for the good of science and all.

Lichen naturally produces little compound reproductive packets called soredia. These could be seeded from low orbit over the arctic ice caps. Lichen lives in our arctic quite contentedly. The dark photosynthesizing plant mass would begin to melt the caps' date=' the first step to Terraforming Mars. [/quote']

Woa......Let's not melt the caps, k? At least not intentionally?

:o :o :o

It’s not that I’m trying to get rid of VonHelton or anything; I’m just um…well,.. Doing my part to speed up our colonization efforts. You know, for the good of science and all.

You're a horrible liar.......LOL.

:p

But hey, if I could be on Mars right now, I would be. That's where the money is, boys & girls, and I want a part of that action.

:D

If we send any plant life. It will have to be close to moss in structure. Carbon absorbing' date=' oxygen producing. Moss can withstand cold temperatures & little sun, And still grow. The object would be to deposit spores in a fly-by very low orbit in areas that would have sufficient supply of moisture.[/quote']

Forget moss, you want LICHEN!!!

It’s a compound organism made up of a fungus that has an algae living inside of it.

The good ones even have a bacterium that lives in them as well. The fungus provides the structure and housing along with protection from the elements. The algae photosynthesizes CO2 into carbohydrates and gives off oxygen, while the bacteria fix nitrogen, something no plant can do for its self.

With this combination, they don’t need much from the outside world; light, water, CO2, and ambient nitrogen are enough. To top it all off, they can survive harsher conditions than any other plant, even going so far as to totally shut down metabolically for an indefinite period until things improve.

Lichen naturally produces little compound reproductive packets called soredia. These could be seeded from low orbit over the arctic ice caps. Lichen lives in our arctic quite contentedly. The dark photosynthesizing plant mass would begin to melt the caps, the first step to Terraforming Mars.

hey this is good stuff. i just posted last night on another mars topic about soil and atmospheric composition.

it looks good folks! :D

95% CO2

get some plant life up there which can tolerate a ~75 degree temperature range and were in business.

mars could have what scientists know as the Big Burp.

(as you know O2 is plant bi product. we're breathing plant shit! :thinking:

hey this is good stuff. i just posted last night on another mars topic about soil and atmospheric composition.

it looks good folks! :D

95% CO2

get some plant life up there which can tolerate a ~75 degree temperature range and were in business.

mars could have what scientists know as the Big Burp.

(as you know O2 is plant bi product. we're breathing plant ####! :thinking:

We'll need something that spreads quickly......Like a creeping vine, only much faster.

:stare: