Do you overclock?

sloany

I overclock my vidio card but I am running a new ATI X800 pci express card. ATI has a tool were you can over clock or seet your card to normale so you have the option of gaming ' date=' or internet.[/quote']

Ha, ha! Why would anyone overclock X800 ?! :cyclops:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the artical from viperlair that you recomended did you? At the bottom of page one it states (A couple of things to let you know. A large number of nVidia based nForce 2 motherboards allow you to unlock the TBred and Barton with simple BIOS adjustments (we'll explain on the next page). In otherwords, if you have one of those CPUs, you will probably not need to physically unlock the CPU as we've described.)

So this shouldn`t be possible?

My mistake the XP 2600+ has a locked multiplier of either 12.5 or 16.0, here's the chart.

2800+ 2.25 Ghz 1.65V 13.5x 333 Mhz 84mm^2

2700+ 2.17 Ghz 1.65V 13x 333 Mhz 84mm^2

2600+ 2.08 Ghz 1.65V 12.5x 333 Mhz 84mm^2

2600+ 2.13 Ghz 1.65V 16x 266 Mhz 84mm^2

2400+ 2.00 Ghz 1.65V 15x 266 Mhz 84mm^2

2200+ 1.80 Ghz 1.65V 13.5x 266 Mhz 80mm^2

2100+ 1.73 Ghz 1.60V 13.0x 266 Mhz 128mm^2

2000+ 1.67 Ghz 1.60V 12.5x 266 Mhz 128mm^2

1900+ 1.60 Ghz 1.50V 12.0x 266 Mhz 128mm^2

1800+ 1.53 Ghz 1.50V 11.5x 266 Mhz 128mm^2

1700+ 1.47 Ghz 1.50V 11.0x 266 Mhz 128mm^2

I should add to O/C your CPU you need to lower the Multiplier & raise the FSB, you can't leave the Multiplier @ 16.0 & raise the FSB also.....all that will happen is crashes, hangs at boot time & BSOD with windows.

You should already know this since you had it set in the 11.0 & 12.0 range to begin with & a higher FSB.

I just read the artical from viperlair that you recomended did you? At the bottom of page one it states (A couple of things to let you know. A large number of nVidia based nForce 2 motherboards allow you to unlock the TBred and Barton with simple BIOS adjustments (we'll explain on the next page). In otherwords' date=' if you have one of those CPUs, you will probably not need to physically unlock the CPU as we've described.)[/quote']

Yes I saw that but it really doesn't explain it on the 2nd page, instead click the link just above & to the left of the next button "Update: A reader submitted his discovery here."

It's not having one of the CPU's that matters it whether you have a combination of the right CPU & MB with nForce 2.

AMD cuts certain L1, L2 & L3 bridges to prevent raising the multiplier on there CPU's but they didn't do it the same way with every CPU & nForce 2 is setup in such a way as to be able use these uncut bridges where other chipsets can't, because there not setup to read from these bridges.

Just a note on watercooling to those thinking about it, I have both water cooling and a vaporchill system. Water cooling is good but to really get the core temps down you need a powerfull fan (= BIG), the ideal fans are 120mm for the radiator block as anything less and you might as well use fans in practice. With water cooling i've been able to overclock my Athalon 64 - fx (3400) chipset to upto equiv of a 3800 at a reasonable 69c Full load temp.

The noise is still there even with a good fan and pump, you just substitute one noise for another. If you put sound insulation inside the PC, you then need fans to draw out the heat generated from Pump, HD's and PSU or eventually the mean temperature of the water will still go up.

With the Vaporchill system it is a completly different matter and a different league, price, size, and plus the noise. But who cares about noise when you can see your CPU core's are in the sub-zero temps.

I've had a 3ghz (prescot core) pushed all the way upto 3.9ghz or there abouts with a stable core temp of -37c. However if your after serious speed increases in my opinon its safer and even sometimes more viable to just purchase a second hand top end CPU, as once you start to buy the parts for a good overclock system to allow you get the extra mhz outta the cpu the £££ go upwards on a fast curve.

After alot of overclocking and experimenting in this field in the past I finally settled on getting a dual Xeon 3.2ghz machine.

In conclusion its easy to say this.. the more cash you can spend on the cooling the higher the results in overclocking, but at the same time the £££ gets closer to just buying a faster cpu/memory to start of with.

Hope this helps.

I used to visit Overclockers Forum section - Wealth of information