Projectiles or Energy Weapons

Duggie

When you think about it couldn't you get a flame thrower to go far like a gun. Then is would be like an energy weapon. As for that little comment about heating rocks' date=' That's a good point, but those kinda weapons are quite theoretical. A directed energy discharge would shatter the rock before heating them up, beacuse remeber rocks are quite crystalized[/quote']

u know since the world has laser technology, dont we have enough research for it to make em weapons and replace the aging projectiles? hmm laser burns instead of bullets. thus that means we have to another advanced level of medical technology.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that way they don't try researching more nukes, like greece still uses ancient technology for missile deployment. They only have short range delivery. I think N.Korea is second in Nuke development. They got ICBMs on the way, I wonder if they'll get global deployment. But you gotta love the russians, they got orbital nukes, what are better than those.

What do you mean, phasers can vaporize! How cool is that?

I would say that in general, energy weapons are superior, but projectiles are better against the BORG :D

Like I've said earlier, projectile weapons can hurt the BORG!

They soon adapt to all energy weapons, but this will smash them!

Adopt this!!!

u said earlier. i thought nite said it. are u having a multi personality problem?

Come on people!!! Gas propelled metal projectiles' date=' who can't love those, they always work in an em field, they kill nicely, so you can't accedentaly stun someone. Finally why would you vaporize someone, then there's nothing to kick around afterwards. or throw back at the enemy[/quote']

But with beam weapons you don't have to adjust for windage or ballistic trajectory. Both beam and projectile weapons have their pros & cons - the weapon that really matters is between your ears.

That's like part hard projectile' date=' part energy. How about uranium depleted shells, now those are good!!![/quote']

Depends on how you define "good."

The armor piercing variety vaporize on impact. That means that those who fight an armor battle are subjecting themselves to long term risk.

They contaminate the battlefield, making it unsafe to live in.

I know they're "depleted," but a few years ago I visited the Trinity test site. They were showing us that it was safe to visit because the trinite had a lower level of radiation than their "depleted" Uranium ammo.

That depleted Uranium is hotter than ground zero was 48 years later!

Not my definition of "good."

When you think about it couldn't you get a flame thrower to go far like a gun. Then is would be like an energy weapon. As for that little comment about heating rocks' date=' That's a good point, but those kinda weapons are quite theoretical. A directed energy discharge would shatter the rock before heating them up, beacuse remeber rocks are quite crystalized[/quote']

It depends on the photon frequency and energy. An infrared beam would heat the rock up quite nicely, especially one from a KW heat lamp with a good parabolic reflector. Hardly a weapon, though, until you crank the power up by a few orders of magnitude.

portable power is still a problem. Projectiles are simple effective' date=' and the industry to create them is currently in place[/quote']

Microwave and ultrasound beam weapons already exist, mostly for non-lethal crowd control. But if you crank up the volume ...

Also, a number of beam/directed energy weapon experiments have been done in low orbit.

Lasers are capable of blinding opponents and their sensors.

EMP can destroy all electronic equipment within range.

The best weapon is between your ears. It has the capability to use whatever is at hand and best fits the circumstances to effectively stop an enemy.