Mars Poles and the Ice

VonHelton

009_Mars_northPole_L.jpg

25 February 2005

These images, taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on board ESA’s Mars Express spacecraft, were released at the First Mars Express Science Conference this week. They show the areas of focused research - water, ice, glaciers and volcanism.

More......

http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEMX67D3M5E_index_0.html

References:

http://www.marsnews.com/

Doesn't that ice consist of frozen CO2? Or am I getting "Total Recall" mixed up with reality.?

You mean oxygen........And yes, it does.

:)

If there is more of this ice under the soil, and we can figure out how to super heat it, we can have "Blue Sky on Mars".

......For real.

:o

Doesn't that ice consist of frozen CO2? Or am I getting "Total Recall" mixed up with reality.?

You mean oxygen........And yes, it does.

:)

Nope, I meant CO2 - a few years back I read that a lot of the ice was just frozen CO2 (at that time they were more worried about finding a ready supply of water - but that was then..)

I know, the "total recall" reference was just as bad as movie...

wil post some stuff on the evolution of the earth's atmosphere when i find it.

bout ten minutes

couldn't wait - however this graph is a bit wierd, as I recall it O2 levels were higher around the cretaceous period or so than it is today...

And if you'are wondering why there is no oxygen in the atmosphere before 2200 Mya (mill years ago) it's because it was used up in the ocean transforming Fe(II) into Fe(III) (iron). The O2 producing cyanobacteria(perhaps) began their doing around 2500Mya.

null

Nope' date=' I meant CO2 - a few years back I read that a lot of the ice was just frozen CO2 (at that time they were more worried about finding a ready supply of water - but that was then..)[/quote']

Hmmmmm.......I always thought that ice was frozen water, and that water's primary element was oxygen.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Yeah, well all ...argh ...I can't find the english words!

All elements can have 3 stages: solid (s), liquid(l) and gaseous (g).

frozen water is solid.... CO2 can become a liquid under a higher pressure than we have in the atmosphere and the it can be frozen (also known as dry ice). I forgot my point

oh.... it's that late! g'night!

CO2 can become a liquid under a higher pressure than we have in the atmosphere and the it can be frozen (also known as dry ice).

Mars atmosphere doesn't have high pressure like Earth does.......At least not that I'm aware of.

:stare:

Mars atmosphere doesn't have high pressure like Earth does.......At least not that I'm aware of.

Yeah the pressure is only 1/100 of earth-atm , but elements can also sometimes skip one of the fases (usually the liquid form, since it's in the middle ;)) - but I'm not sure wether it's called sublimation or sublimination(I've only ever used the danish words in "real life").

I belive this would require very low temperatures for CO2 to be drawn out of the atmosphere ( mars goes down to - 125 degrees C / 148 K).

Again, it isn't something I read recently(the CO2 being the ice), so I don't know if it's been rejected in the mean time.

However, as temperatures decreases, water becomes better at containing gasses (i.e. CO2) so if CO2 saturated water froze and the water disappeared somehow...no, that's silly...

We need a manned mission to mars one day to gather more information that can not be determined by robots.....

In order to better understand her and truely theorize.

Never happen.......We've become to complacent.

........Too comfortable.

We need something to drive us from the nest, so to speak.

We need a manned mission to mars one day to gather more information that can not be determined by robots.....

In order to better understand her and truely theorize.

You're calling mars 'her'?

I don't think he'd like that! :p

wil post some stuff on the evolution of the earth's atmosphere when i find it.

bout ten minutes

The O2 producing cyanobacteria(perhaps) began their doing around 2500Mya.

null

yeh dude, the latest thinking is that it was these bacterial mats which transformed earths atmosphere.

Right.......o2, which is oxygen.

You got that right! ;) (the reason there's two when oxygen is free is because it likes to have 8 electrons in the outer orbit/shell of the atom and by lending/sharing electrons beteen them they can fullfill this ... oktet regel = rule of octet(?).)

EDIt: Sorry, I should probably mention that ALL atoms want 8 electrons in the outer shell, except noble gasses (they already have 8 in the outer shell - and are for the same reason pretty darn difficult to get to react with anything)

They should start doing something soon. Even it's just test out to see which plant life works best. Send a dozen or so rockets with different payloads of lichen, o2 producing bacteria, mosses & just land them in different spots. They can then send explorer probes later to see the effects & continue from there.