Mars Poles and the Ice

VonHelton

They should start doing something soon. Even it's just test out to see which plant life works best. Send a dozen or so rockets with different payloads of lichen, o2 producing bacteria, mosses & just land them in different spots. They can then send explorer probes later to see the effects & continue from there.

Not a bad idea - but it's not cheap (they have to have lifesupport while travelling) plus worst case scenario: the earth life adapts way too well and shi* hits the fan.

Yet, the lack of an ozone layer (which earth life is quite comfortable with) on other planets/planetoids mostt likely results in way to many mutations -> death

It's not going to be cheap. It's going to be very expensive. The price will only go up from here. But we won't know unless we try. And you have to remember that when the millitary is involved the price will be more expensive than if nasa just does it.

i was reading at uni briefly today that mars may be tectonically active. there were some lovelly pics of sedimentary structures. anyway, it also has the biggest volcno in the solar system, olympus mons.

so,lets say that under the ice way down deep where the planets crust may be thinner and volcanic activity may occur that there is free water around. and so the possibility of life exists.

i havent heard about anythingsaying there isnt and if theres not then someone will tell me, im sure.

but the ice could also act as an insulator for any heat way down, ie keep the cold from the warm bits. additionally, ice under glaciers can melt at -1 degree C. imagine whole oceans of ice.

life exists in the earth oceans at hydrothermal vents and does not require O2 to exist.

does it sound like im thinkin like a geologist?

They should start doing something soon. Even it's just test out to see which plant life works best. Send a dozen or so rockets with different payloads of lichen, o2 producing bacteria, mosses & just land them in different spots. They can then send explorer probes later to see the effects & continue from there.

Not a bad idea - but it's not cheap (they have to have lifesupport while travelling) plus worst case scenario: the earth life adapts way too well and shi* hits the fan.

Yet, the lack of an ozone layer (which earth life is quite comfortable with) on other planets/planetoids mostt likely results in way to many mutations -> death

And if that works, we'll never know if there REALLY was life on Mars...

The plants will carry bacteria on Mars too.

Later, if there was a bacteria on Mars, we wouldn't know, cause we brought some with the plants...

Are you talking about finding intellegent life on Mars. Maybe from past civilizations. I don't think you will find any one living there right now. I'm talking about helping this planet survive by moving to Mars. Bacteria will mutate in time any ways. It's the law of survival. We as people mutate. Not in the same way. We adapt to new surroundings, challenges. To worry about some bacteria, spores or other minute forms would be a waist of mans destiny. Man will go to Mars & make it in our image. Another sewer.

Mutations occur all the time, yes. However, if they happen at a rate greater than what the cell can repair, then the cell won't live long. The sun's UV-light causes mutations and on planets without an ozone layer there's alot of UV-light reaching the surface.

Bacteria have a greater rate of mutations than animals - this allows them to adapt to a new environment quickly, since they have short generation times (in some cases down to 30 min) - but still, too many mutations and their DNA becomes more non-sensical than a Danielle Steel novel.

Humans mutate too, however our polymerases(DNA repair-mechanisms) in our cells usually right the wrongs - however, not all is corrected (when positioned very bad-> cancer). Plus when we have sex and mutations occur in the sperm and ova, these are carried on to our children.

does it sound like im thinkin like a geologist?

I'm beside myself with awe!

;)

Bear in mind that molecular cohesion in space and on planets with varying degrees of gravity will be different.

.....A sponge may be as strong as steel, and an iron bar may be as brittle as a cracker.

:stare:

Yeah, well all ...argh ...I can't find the english words!

All elements can have 3 stages: solid (s), liquid(l) and gaseous (g).

Actually, there are 4 macroscopic states of matter: You listed the first three, and the fourth is "plasma" - a charged "gas" (but classified separately from the neutral gas that is your 3rd state) consisting of ions and free electrons. Commonly found in neon lights, the ionosphere, and rocket exhaust (normal rockets as well as ion drive).

• 5 months later...
Nope' date=' I meant CO2 - a few years back I read that a lot of the ice was just frozen CO2 (at that time they were more worried about finding a ready supply of water - but that was then..)[/quote']

Hmmmmm.......I always thought that ice was frozen water, and that water's primary element was oxygen.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

nope 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen