How Fast ?

xtremeskiing

Power went out in my town last night cause some idiot hit a telephone poll. Being she is a cop, I know we will never find out the truth.

Therefore, how fast do you have to go to splinter the lower 5 feet of the pole, and launch the upper 30 feet 10 feet down the road with a ford escape.

by the way she was un injured, although i think she has brain damage cause she got out of a vehicle that was draped with live High Voltage lines.

Well, it depends a lot on the sturdiness of the material, but if it was an ordinary wooden pole that had been standing there for some time, I think 30 mph and some Bud-Weis-Er ought to do it. The latter would probably be more crucial in the event though. :D

I voted over 40mph.

I estimate she was going about 55mph based on some quick calculations and few assumptions

This doesnt seem too unlikely, the largest size douglas fir pole that some companies produce is 20inche diameter, based on the known characteristics of the douglas fir, it would take 1,077,648 pound (4,793KN) of shear force or 4,483,920 pound (19,945KN) bending force for it to break.

hrmmmmm, a bud sounds good right about now B)

Hold on, I just re read this entire thread.... are you saying that she broke one of the large, sturdy telephone pole in two pieces, and the much larger part of the pole was launched 10 feet down the road, AND SHE STILL LIVED? Does that sound er, well extremely unlikely to anyone else?

I said over 40mph. I don't know how heavy the car was etc. Somebody (not me) could probably work it out via some mathematical way if they knew the weight of the car.

The weight of the car was 3839 lbs or 1741 kgs, not taking into account the weight of a drunk cop

Guest c4evap

You don't really need a car to break a telephone pole. Just don't let it sleep, keep bright lights shining on it at all times and make it watch Christina Aguilera videos 24x7! That'll break anything!

c4 :p

You don't really need a car to break a telephone pole. Just don't let it sleep, keep bright lights shining on it at all times and make it watch Christina Aguilera videos 24x7! That'll break anything!

c4 :p

rofl, your evil ;)